Saturday, July 21, 2007

Vacation in the Adirondacks

Lisa and I returned today from a week's vacation at Lapland Lake, in the Adirondacks near Northville, NY. The occasion was a family reunion on Lisa's mom's side, and it was a load of fun.

They took great care of all 50+ of us at Lapland Lake - great cottages, friendly staff, a lake & beach & boats & canoes for our private use, and live reindeer. Yes, reindeer. The resort makes its name as a prime cross-country skiing spot, so they have lots of trails for hiking/biking as well. On the rainy days, we went into the nearby town of Northville. Among other things, we stopped at a neat & quirky store called the Stinky Art Company. Anyplace where you walk in & the first thing you get is a smile and "Let me know if you have any stinky questions!" is a place I like.

Thursday (or was it Wednesday?) brought a brief thunderstorm, featuring one bolt that literally shook the house we were sitting in. Nobody was hurt, but the resort office had some equipment get zapped. Other than that, weather was pretty nice, though the bugs were persistent (which is to say, I lost count of my bug bites after about 200, despite using bug spray religiously).

It feels good to be back home after a week out in the woods... though when Monday rolls around, I'm sure I'll wish I was back there.

No comments: