Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The past weekend

Lisa & I had the pleasure of hosting our friends Josh & Elizabeth, along with their son (& our godson) Hayden. Since they've been living in Oklahoma the past few years, this was our first chance to meet Hayden, who was born on Labor Day last year.

They arrived Friday, and we just sat & talked; Saturday, they were off to meet up with some other Rochester friends, while Lisa & I went to my cousin's for a party. The weather was great, & after hanging out there for a while, we went to Henrietta to do some shopping.

And some shopping did I do! In Southtown Plaza, we hit up a newer place called Plato's Closet - it's got all used clothing (kind of like a consignment shop, but I think it's a little different). The prices were great, and I picked up a button-down work shirt and a sweater for $22. Lisa had similar luck, finding a great winter jacket for $22. After that, I wandered over to Play It Again Sports and found a left-handed sand wedge (a golf club, for anyone who's not familiar with the lingo - I didn't simply mis-type 'sandwich,' and I'm not at all sure I would have bought a sandwich from a store that sells sporting goods...) for $10. We rounded out our great deals with a third store in the same plaza, called Tuesday Morning. As Lisa described it, it's kind of like the homewares section of a TJ Maxx. I found a small french press pot, and to my absolute delight it was even orange! Now I can make just one cup of coffee in the morning instead of a small pot, and I won't go to work so jacked up on caffeine that I have tremors 'til noon. Oh, and I also found a decent pair of headphones - the kind that loop over the ear. I used them last night while walking, and even with my sweaty head in full walking stride, those bad boys didn't budge; the music was un-interrupted & thus I am a happy camper.

We met up with Josh & family for dinner at The Golden Port, a restaurant that does Chinese, Thai, sushi, Vietnamese, Dim Sum,... And having tried a number of things there, I think they do them all pretty well! We got & shared a variety of dishes and some sushi rolls, and a good time was had by all. Sunday, we caravaned to Warsaw, NY to visit our mutual friends Jeannie & Jeff (whom we met at Josh & Elizabeth's wedding). Josh & fam had to go on their way, but we stayed and played some games (namely, Lie Cheat & Steal and Mille Bourne). And just like that, it was Monday again....

No comments: