Monday, August 27, 2007

Wait, is that really Silverchair?

This weekend Lisa & I visited Lisa's cousin in Pittsburgh. We drove down Friday, arriving around midnight. We were up early Saturday and went to see Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater in nearby Bear Run, PA. It was a very cool place. I heard cantilever more times than ever before in my life! The house is built right over a waterfall and uses a lot of clever techniques to not fall in the river. There are stairs descending from the middle of the living room right to the river; you can hear the waterfall from everyplace in the house. And, because of the way it's built, it incorporates a number of rock outcroppings right into ground-floor rooms, and it features neat details like windows on one of the corners of the house. It's still furnished with all the original furniture and mostly original belongings of its owners, the Kaufman family (as in Kaufman's department stores). They died and left the house to the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy, so now it's a museum.

Saturday night brought game night with Lisa's cousin & a bunch of her friends - they were all really nice! We played some Cranium and a never-ending game of Trivial Pursuit 20th edition.

Sunday we took our time waking up, and in the midst of hanging out & getting ready, I watched (for the first time in probably four or five years) the VH1 video countdown. It was a trip to see some of these videos. I don't remember a lot of them, because I honestly don't listen to much radio at all anymore. But what really got me is that Silverchair has a video on the countdown!

I remember these guys from about 10 years ago, when I guess they were quite young. I had to visit Amazon to remind myself what their single, "Tomorrow," sounded like. Strangely, their new song sounds nothing like their stuff from a dozen years ago. Where they were a straightforward grunge band back in the day, they've got a totally different sound now, much more poppy than Frogstomp. I'd actually need to hear the song a few more times to tell you anything more about it.

We were back to Rochester Sunday afternoon, and I went for a walk (3 miles or so). Then some grocery shopping around 9 PM, and then to bed to get ready for another big week :)

No comments: