Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Walking update: 6.5 miles today

I'm trying out posting my training walks as I go along. Hopefully, I'll look back a couple of months from now and see how I progressed. I invite you to do the same.

Walked about ~ 6.5 miles round-trip today (based on my pedometer - Google Maps says it was 7 miles). Weather was beautiful - clear blue sky and a sun not yet thinking about setting when I took off around 6:45 PM. For anyone interested - though I'm not sure why you would be - I started from home, walked east on C.R. 205 (called Marion Road along that stretch), turned left on Boynton Road, walked to the end, then turned around and came back.

Being that I was walking on country roads, I had the chance to see lots of wildlife. I saw a hummingbird, a yellow finch (I think - it looked like this), a bunch of dead frogs (unfortunately - I like frogs a lot), and a fox. I also saw some sheep, but I'm about 90% sure they weren't wild sheep.

I listened to my tunes and thought about how thankful I am that digital music exists. Now, for some reason, my mp3 player (a 1 GB Insignia brand player) orders my tracks alphabetically by song title, rather than basing it on the artist. This is a little strange, but it actually works nicely as kind of a randomizer. So on tonight's 110-minute walk, I got to listen to a whole range, from Gorillaz ("19-2000") and Smashing Pumpkins ("1979") through the Beatles, Foo Fighters, Wilco, and many more. (I ended up right at the beginning of "Du Hast" by Rammstein - but that song's a topic for another time.) To think that I grew up with radio and cassette tapes, then got my first CD player right before high school, and never even heard of mp3 music 'til I got to college. But look at me rambling like a... well, like a rambler.

All in all, an ideal walk.

No comments: